Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bible Thumping

Yesterday, Lawrence O'Donnell did one of his better 'rewrites'.  About how one member of congress says you only need follow the Bible for everything.....  you'd think.  It was edifying. 

So he reads Deuteronomy, and asks why adulterers aren't put to death.  You can see it here.  

So, my grandfather was a very wild democrat, because we had this very old family bible, and it had a lock on it.  When he retired, he read it front to back, declared the Old Testament a 'book of horrors', and kept it locked maingtaining it being unsuitable for children.  Which only made me curious as to what was IN there and sent me rifling through it when he forgot to re-lock it. 

It's telling that what worked for me was the story of David and Jonathan and The Book of Ruth.  I liked those stories.  Genesis was a yawn.  No, I was eight, and didn't really understand much of it, but those two sort of appealed.  Go figure.

On the other hand...  my grandfather was right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment